Monday, October 17, 2011

My Worlds Collide...Pumpkin Style

Has anyone out there ever crossed their fantasy life created on Pinterest into their real life (their way less glamorous/ambitious real life)?  I took the leap to merge my dual existences yesterday and mad the 'Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cake' (which really needs a much more exciting name).  Some call it 'Pumpkin Dump Cake' but, after some investigation, it is not the same thing....although that kind of sums up this recipe.

I love all things pumpkin- except pie...which is really weird now that I think about it.  The recipe only calls for a can of plain pumpkin, which they are very specific about, and a box of cake mix.  After some unsolicited advice from a lady in Wal-Mart who really loves pumpkin (I always always attract...um....unusual people while shopping) I decided to go with the spice cake mix. 

I read some reviews that suggested modifying this 2 ingredient cake into a 3 ingredient cake by adding eggs.  From what I know about baking, I assumed that was a good idea and added 3 eggs.  This seemed to help loosen the thickness of the batter, which was a complaint by most of the bakers, as well as add fluffiness.

I chose to make mini cupcakes because I wanted to give them away to some friends and co-workers (and because I had super cute pumpkin candies to put on top).  I thought the result was fine for what it was- and the cake contains no added fat or oil, which is a plus if you care about things like that.  I wish I had used the pre-seasoned pie ready pumpkin though.  Plain canned pumpkin is quite bland on its own.  Even the boxed spice cake mix didn't provide that punch of pumpkin pie flavor I was looking for.  Next time I will use the seasoned pumpkin and maybe a chocolate cake mix (Devil's food was suggested by a reviewer).

For the icing, I used a standard cream cheese which was: 8oz cream cheese, 8oz butter, a teaspoon of vanilla and about 4 cups of powdered sugar whipped together.  I seasoned mine with a little cinnamon after tasting the cupcakes themselves and deciding it could use the extra flavor.  


I often give away baked goods (so I don't eat them all myself) and I love love love these Dollar Tree containers for most things.  I can slide a gallon size bag over them or use the silver cardboard top they come with. They come round or rectangular, 2 in a package for $1.  Have you ever been behind someone at a dollar store who just can't come to terms with the fact that everything costs a dollar and so they have to ask how much everything is?  Those people always make me laugh.  I could never work at a dollar store because of them!









No comments:

Post a Comment