Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Presence of Presents


Have you heard of the One-In, One-Out rule of organizing? If not, let me fill you in on one of the best organizing principles. For everything you bring into the space, one thing must leave. For example, if you buy 6 new pairs of socks, then 6 (or more!) pairs must leave! It’s a great way to avoid building up clutter.



I just recently tried a different version of that with my oldest daughter. Normally before a gift-giving holiday, such as Christmas and birthdays, I have my girls go through their toys and purge the ones they no longer play with to make room for their new treasures. This year, I had Super Girl purge 1 item for every invitation she mailed out! She does very well when she has limits so it made it a little more fun for her. Another bonus was that we also didn’t have to wait until after the party, like we would if we did an actual one-in, one-out. This trick worked great for us!




No comments:

Post a Comment